RFCS VictoriaWest Head Office
PO Box 715
Hamilton VIC 3300
Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic): Personal information
In this privacy statement the term 'personal information' has the meaning provided in section 3 of the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic).
Personal information is information or an opinion that is recorded in any form, whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained.
This Act is the legislation that regulates our collection and handling of personal information. Detailed information about the Act is available at the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner
Collection of personal information
It is intended that this website can be used anonymously. However, for some functions, the collection of personal information is necessary or unavoidable. You will know if the Service is collecting personal information from you because you will be requested to provide it.
There are two exceptions to this:
- When someone else provides the Service with your personal information. The Service cannot prevent this. However, you are entitled to access and to correct any personal information about you collected by the Service
- When the Service collects website visitation statistics using a web analytics service.
The statistics in No. 2 may qualify as personal information under the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic). However, these statistics are not used to identify individual web users.
For further information regarding this, see web usage measurement (below).
How we collect information
The Service uses both internally built survey software and third-party vendors for the collection, aggregation and analysis of some survey data.
They include, but may not be limited to:
If you do not want your personal information being stored offshore, you can decline to provide this information by not responding to these surveys.
If you choose to engage with the Service via social network channels including Linkedin, X (was Twitter), YouTube, Instagram or Facebook you should be aware of the following:
- The Service only collects information that you voluntarily provide via polls, responses, posts, comments, direct messages and tweets.
- Your social media profile contact details may be used to contact you for feedback or to engage you in conversation. All contact will be made via the channels you choose to participate in.
- Any information you post on social media sites is potentially accessible to anyone else engaging with the same social media site.
- Your individual privacy settings for profiles and accounts on social media networks are your responsibility. The Service has no control or jurisdiction over these settings.
- Each social network has inbuilt privacy settings. We strongly recommend that you regularly check and configure the privacy settings for your profiles and accounts to make sure that you know what information you are making available and to which audience.
- When you choose to join our social networks or participate in any way, some of your personal information may be made visible to others. For example, if you choose to: ‘Like’ a Service post, tweet, comment or update; share a link; follow on Twitter; tweet a mention or retweet a message; or join a Facebook Group, your activity may be made visible to others within these networks.
Social media accounts managed by the Service include but may not be limited to:
Facebook tracking pixels
In addition to anonymous cookies and clickstream data we also collect identifiable information through the use of Facebook tracking pixels. A tracking pixel is a small transparent graphic image that is placed on a web page. The pixel allows us to collect information regarding the use of the web page that contains the tracking pixel. If you have used Facebook on the same device, we share the tracking pixel data with Facebook and they use the information collected from the page to optimise the advertising you see when using Facebook.
If you are a registered user of Facebook and you do not wish Facebook to track your use of pages on our website in this way, you can opt out by changing your advertisement settings
If there is no policy present it is highly recommended you contact the contributing agency or Service directly.
If payment services are supported by third-party vendors the Service will only share your details with them to assist with either:
- resolution of technical issues
- detection or prevention of fraud or security issues.
Your information will be stored on secure databases which reside in Australia, and the USA. If you do not want your personal information being stored offshore, please do not submit personal information to us.Use and disclosure of personal information
Personal information that is collected by the Service will be used by, and disclosed to, Service employees or contractors whose duties require them to use it. Such employees and contractors are required to protect and handle your personal information in accordance with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) and any other applicable legislation regulating the collection, use, disclosure, storage and destruction of personal information.
Personal information that is collected by the Service may be compared with data already held to ensure that information is current and accurate.
Access to and correction of personal information
You may request access to any personal information that the Service may have collected about you. Also, you may request correction of your personal information if you can establish that it is not accurate, complete or up-to-date. The Victorian Privacy Commissioner has recommended that the appropriate means to access and correct information held by the Services is pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic).
TheExecutive Officer may be contacted on the details below about access to, and correction of, personal information collected by the Service or for any questions or concerns you may have arising from this privacy statement.
RFCS VictoriaWest Head Office
PO Box 715
Hamilton VIC 3300
email@example.comInternet user risks
The Service does not warrant that the functions contained in the site will be uninterrupted or without error. In addition, the Service shall not be responsible for the propagation of computer worms, viruses or other harmful components transmitted from this site and other third-party sites.
The Service recommends that you ensure that your browser is equipped with updated virus protection software.
Website usage measurement
Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage.
Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google.
For further information, please visit the Google Privacy Center
Email addresses will only be used to respond to specific user queries and will not be kept or used for any purpose other than stated. Email addresses will not be added to a mailing list or disclosed to any other party without your knowledge or consent.
You can configure your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, providing you with the opportunity to either accept or reject it. You can also refuse all cookies by turning them off in your browser or deleting all cookies from your computer if required.